Friday, June 29, 2012

I’m CoCoNuts for CoCoNut HeadPhones!

Okay, I don’t know this guy. We’ve never met. And I’ve never even heard him speak at a conference, workshop etc. But after reading his long blog piece on “Linking Strategies,” I would pay good hard-earned Canuck cash to do just that! This man, Ted Ives knows SEO! And this piece is over 5000 words of solid SEO thinking!

 Right off the bat, there’s a rationale in this piece that just so so suits my own take on SEO, that for a sec or two, I thought I’d contributed somehow to the piece. I didn’t and that hurt too….but the capture of the whole linking rationale and the thinking behind same is well worth the click. Do that….see what I mean!

For instance, Ted begins talking about “ethics and legality,” as he talks about – well here, read this pull-out and you’ll see what I mean, eh -

“The “ethical” part involves two aspects: not making the internet a worse place, and protecting your client (or your company) from problems down the road.    Case studies abound of people pursuing linking strategies where adverse consequences resulted (search on [jcpenney penalty] or [chrome penalty] for some good examples).

Do everyone a favor please – from an ethical standpoint, please don’t spam the world, and make sure you take good care of whoever you’re working for by not doing anything “sketchy”.  As far as the “Legality” part goes:

I am not a lawyer, so *don’t take any of what you read in this posting as legal advice* – you should obtain your own legal advice and research all issues to your own satisfaction before proceeding with any ideas mentioned in this article.

However, I can tell you this much – if you are creating fake reviews, or are lying about your identity and are making claims about your company’s products or services (or about a client’s) anywhere, you are treading on *very thin ice*.  Just because you’re marketing on the Internet doesn’t mean you are more immune to false advertising claims than your counterparts in the print and broadcasting world…”

Did you catch the part about the fake reviews? Did you notice that he made sure that the reader understands that there “is” such a thing as “thin ice” and that in his opinion (and mine), and that you have to understand that risk. I do. And my clients do. And so should you….read the full blog piece to gauge the import of the thinking….and you’ll agree too, I believe!

But….that’s not all. One of the best things is the chart that Ted has developed that shows in an easy to understand manner, where those risk lie…and how to avoid them. Honestly avoid them….and here’s a quick preview of that chart fyi…click for the full size one too…

So….if you’ve ever wondered about linking, the risks for same and the methods to avoid (and I mean truly avoid!)…then this blog piece is for you. Read it. You will not lose…and neither will your clients – that’s an Canadian SEO promise!


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More